1 egg lightly beaten
1 TBS sliced shallot
1 TBS chopped salted radish
1 handful rice stick noodle
1/4 c plus 2 TBS water
1 c fresh bean sprouts
1/4 c fresh chives, cut into one inch long pieces
1 TBS sugar
2 TBS chopped roasted peanut
vegetable oil for frying
1. Rinse the radish several times under cold water, gently squeezing off the water. Chop it and add a little bit of sugar to sweeten, mix well.
2. Soak the rice stick noodle in warm water for about 15 minutes, leave in water until you are ready to use.
3. Heat 1 TBS of oil in a wok at medium-high heat. Add egg and cook it quickly, scrambling into small pieces. Remove, set aside.
4. Add 1 TBS oil to the wok. Add shallot, radish and tofu fry until aromatic. Increase the heat of your wok. Add a handful of soaked noodles followed with water. Stir-fry this mixture for about 5-6 minutes. The noodles will start to get soft. Add 1/4 c of pad thai sauce and mix well. Add sugar, cooked egg, bean sprout, and chive. Stir well for another 1-2 minutes until everything blends together. Turn off heat, transfer to serving plate with sliced fresh lime, roasted peanuts, and more bean sprout on the side. Now dazzle your friends with the fact that your pad thai looks and tastes just as good as any restaurant.
5. You may add Thai chili powder, sugar, and crushed peanuts at the table on the side.
1 c diced seedless watermelon
1 c cored and diced heirloom tomatoes
2 TBS thinly diced shallots
1 TBS hot sauce
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 TBS honey
2 TBS chopped basil leaves
1/2 c crumbled goat-milk feta cheese
1. Combine watermelon, tomatoes and shallots in a bowl. Crush the tomatoes a but with your hands to provide a little extra juice.
2. Add hot sauce, lemon juice, and honey. Season with salt, and garnish with basil and feta. Then serve with tortilla chips and pretzels.
Hint: If you have any left over, serve it over grilled chicken for dinner.
6 C chicken broth, divided
3 TBS olive oil, divided
1 lb. portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 shallots, diced
1 1/2 C arborio rice
1/2 dry white wine
sea salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 TBS butter
1/3 C freshly grated parmesan cheese
1. In a saucepan, warm the broth over low heat.
2. Warm 2 TBS olive oil to skillet, and stir in the shallots. Cook 1 minute. Add rice, stirring to coat with oil, about 2 minutes. When the rice has taken on a pale, golden color, pour in wine, stirring constantly until the wine is fully absorbed. Add 1/2 cup broth to the rice, and stir until the broth is absorbed. Continue adding broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring continuously, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is al dente, about 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Remove from heat, and stir in mushrooms with their liquid, butter, chives, and parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Prep: 20 min
Cook: 30 min
3 c chopped onion
1 c chopped celery
1 c chopped carrot
10 garlic cloves
1 (13 lb) turkey
1/3 c grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
5 TBS chopped fresh sage
2 TBS butter, softened
1 TBS minced garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon, halved
2 1/2 c chicken broth
1/3 c chopped shallots
1 c sherry
1/4 c all-purpose flour
1/4 c water
1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. Combine first 4 ingredients in bottom of a shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Remove and discard giblets and neck from turkey. Rinse the turkey with cold water; pat dry. Trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting gainers, gently pushing between skin and meat. Lift win tips up and over back; tuck under turkey.
3. Combine cheese, 1/4 c sage, butter, minced garlic, 3/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper; rub mixture under the loosened skin and over breast and drumsticks. Rub turkey skin with cut sides of lemon halves; squeeze juice into turkey cavity. Place lemon halves in turkey cavity; tie legs together wit kitchen string.
4. Place turkey, breast side up, on vegetable mixture in pan. Bake at 425 for 30 minutes, and pour 2 cups broth over turkey. Tent turkey breast loosely with foil. Bake an additional 30 minutes.
5. Reduce oven temperature to 325 F for 1 1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted into meat part of thigh registers 180 F, basing every 30 minutes. Remove turkey from pan. Cover and let stand 30 minutes; discard skin.
6. Place a large zip-top plastic bag inside a 4 cup glass measure. Pour drippings through a sieve into bag discard solids. Let drippings stand 10 minutes (fat will rise to the top). Self bag; carefully snip off 1 bottom corner of bag. Drain drippings into a medium bowl, stopping before fat layer reaches opening discard fat. Add enough of remaining chicken broth to drippings to equal 3 cups.
7. Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pain with cooking spray. Add shallots; sauce 1 minute. Add sherry bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 5 minutes). Stir in remaining 1 TBS sage, and cook for 30 seconds. Add reserved drippings; bring to a boil.
8. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, level with a knife. Combine flour and water, stirring well with a whisk. Stir flour mixture into drippings mixture; bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in remaining 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
1 c sweetened dried cranberries
3/4 c apple juice
1/2 c zinfandel or other fruity dry red wine
1/2 c cranberry juice
3 TBS minced shallots
1 1/2 TBS fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 TBS walnut oil
10 c gourmet salad greens
3 c cubed gala apple (about 2 apples)
1 c thinly sliced sweet onion (about 1 medium onion)
1/3 c coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
1. Combine cranberries and apple juice in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; let stand for 10 minutes. Drain cranberries; discard apple juice. Set cranberries aside.
2. Bring wine and cranberry juice to a boil in pan, and cook until reduced to 1/3 c (about 8 minutes). Pour wine mixture into a medium bowl; add shallots, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Gradually add oil, stirring with a whisk.
3. Combine cranberries, greens, apple, and onion in a large bowl, Drizzle dressing over salad; tons gently to coat. Sprinkle with toasted walnuts.
2 TBS water
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tsp all purpose flour
2 TBS grated asiago cheese
1/2 shallot, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Place mushrooms in a nonstick skillet over medium heat; add water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until water is evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk cream and flour into mushrooms until flour is incorporated. Add Asiago cheese, shallot, salt, and black pepper to mushroom mixture, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until sauce thickens, about 7 minutes.