(Yield: 24 pieces)
1 c pecan halves
1 c sugar
1 c dark corn syrup
1 c butter
1 c heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 bars (6 oz.) milk chocolate baking bars, melted
1. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
2. Cut the pecans in half lengthwise and arrange to form small circles (about 1 1/2″ in diameter).
3. Cook the sugar, dark corn syrup, butter and 1/2 c of cream in a saucepan.
4. Stir occasionally over low heat, until the sugar has dissolved.
5. Increase heat to medium and stir continuously until the temperature reaches 240 degrees F.
6. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the remaining cream.
7. Heat again and stir continuously until the temperature reaches 245 degrees F.
8. Pour the caramel mixture into a 9″ pan lined with foil and let it cool approximately 2 minutes.
9. Spoon caramel mixture over each pecan circle.
10. Melt chocolate according to melting instructions.
11. Spread melted chocolate over each cluster.
12. Chill 10 minutes, then let stand at room temperature until the chocolate is firm.
13. Store tightly covered at room temperature.
1 C sugar
1 1/2 C corn syrup (can use 1/2 dark and 1/2 light)
1/4 C butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 C pecans, coarsely broken
1. In a saucepan boil sugar and corn syrup together for 2 to 3 minutes; set aside to cool slightly.
2. In a large bowl, beat eggs lightly and very slowly pour the syrup mixture into the eggs, stirring constantly.
3. At this point, strain the mixture to make sure it’s smooth and lump free.
4. Stir in butter, vanilla, and pecans and pour into crust.
5. Bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for about 45 to 60 minutes or until set.
6. Allow to cool completely before slicing. Refrigerating overnight works best.
6 large beets (about 4 1/2 pounds)
1/4 c water
1 1/2 tsp finely grated orange rind
1/3 c fresh orange juice
3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
2 1/4 TBS sherry vineger
3/4 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 large avocado, peeled
3 bunches watercress (about 9 cups trimmed)
3 c orange sections (about 3 large navel oranges)
3/4 c vertically sliced red onion
3 TBS chopped pecans, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Remove root and 1 inch stem on beets; scrub with a brush. Cut beets in half; place beets in a 13×9 inch baking dish. Add water. Cover with foil, and bake at 375 for 1 hour or until tender. Cool; rub off skins. Cut beets into 1/2 inch slices.
3. Combine rind and next 6 ingredients (through pepper) in a small bowl. toss half of ice mixture with beets.
4. Cut avocado in half lengthwise. Slice each half into 12 slices. Place watercress on a platter; top with beets, orange sections, onion, and avocado. Drizzle remaining juice mixture over salad, and top with pecans. Serve immediately.