2 c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 c white sugar
1 1/2 c melted butter
1 c plain yogurt
1 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp rosewater
1/2 c blanched slivered almonds
1 1/2 TBSP chopped pistachios
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl; set aside. Grease the cups of a cupcake/muffin pan. You will need 24.
2. Combine the eggs and sugar in a large heatproof bowl and set on top of a pan of simmering water. Beat constantly with a whisk or electric mixer until thick and pale, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and continue to beat until cooled, about 10 minutes. Mix in the butter, yogurt, cardamom and rosewater. Stir in the flour mixture by hand and fold in the slivered almonds. Spoon into the prepared cupcake molds, filling 3/4 full. Sprinkle some chopped pistachios over the tops.
3. Bake until firm to the touch and golden brown. About 25 – 30 minutes.
This drink is amazing in the summertime.
3 pounds fresh or frozen pitted sour cherries (about 3 cups of sour-cherry juice)
8 cups sugar
4 tablespoons lime juice
5 cups water
1. Squeeze the cherries or process them in a juicer.
2. Bring the sugar, lime juice, and water to a boil in a laminated pan. Add the cherry juice and boil for 10 – 15 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the syrup thickens.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool.
4. Pour syrup into a clean, dry bottle, and cork tightly.
5. In a pitcher, mix 1 part syrup, 3 parts water, and lots of ice cubes. Stir and serve.
Another way to make this syrup is to bring the sugar and water to a boil, tie the sour cherries with the pits in cheesecloth, and add the cloth to the sugar and water. Boil for 25 minutes. Squeeze and remove the cheesecloth and add 1/4 tsp vanilla extract to the syrup. Allow to cool, pour the syrup into a clean, dry bottle, and cork tightly. Server as in Step5 above.