3 eggplants, about 1 pound each, trimmed and cut lengthwise into slices 1/4 inch thick (about 16 slices total)
¾ cup olive oil, or as needed
8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
½ cup pine nuts
⅓ cup raisins, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes until plump, then drained
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, more for drizzling
2 tablespoons bread crumbs
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1 ½ teaspoons dried mint
2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley leaves
1 large egg, beaten
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 ½ cups drained canned crushed tomatoes
1 large ball fresh mozzarella in 1/4-inch slices
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Place a ridged cast-iron skillet or other heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brush eggplant slices on both sides with olive oil and cook, turning, until soft and (if using a ridged pan) crisscrossed with grid marks. Set aside and allow to cool.
2. In a large bowl, combine feta, pine nuts, raisins, 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, bread crumbs, garlic, lemon zest, mint and parsley. Mix in egg, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Spread eggplant slices on a surface, and divide stuffing evenly among them, placing 1 to 2 tablespoons at one end of each slice. Roll up slices tightly to secure filling, and place in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish (or other shallow baking pan in which rolls fit snugly in a single layer).
4. Pour crushed tomatoes on top of eggplant rolls. Arrange mozzarella slices in a line lengthwise down center of pan. Drizzle olive oil evenly over pan, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Bake until cheese has melted and eggplant is bubbling and fragrant, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to stand 5 to 10 minutes. Serve hot.
1/4 onion, chopped
1/4 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 c skim milk
1/4 c chicken broth
2 1/4 tsp all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
2 TBS grated parmesan cheese
1/4 lb fettuccini
2 lb broccoli
1. In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and saute until golden brown.
2. In a small saucepan, stir together milk, chicken broth, flour, salt, and pepper over low heat until smooth and thick. Stir into onion mixture. Continue to cook over medium low heat, stirring frequently, until the sauce is thick. Stir in parmesan cheese.
3. Meanwhile, boil broccoli in boiling water. After several minutes, add pasta.
4. Drain the pasta and broccoli, and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with sauce. Serve.
2 c shredded mozzarella
1/2 c sour cream
1/4 c grated parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp pepper
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 (14 oz.) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
2 (8 oz.) packages of cream cheese
1/2 of 10 oz. package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a bowl, combine everything EXCEPT 1/2 c of the mozzarella, 2 TBS of parmesan cheese, and chips.
3. Spoon mixture into baking dish, sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
4. Bake mixture at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until warm and bubbly.
5. Serve warm with chips.
1 TBS olive oil
1 lb ground lamb
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large onion, sliced
1 TBS oregano
2/3 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp salt
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 dash hot pepper sauce
2/3 c chopped fresh parsley
1 lb pizza crust dough
6 oz. feta cheese
1/2 zucchini, diced
8 oz. chopped blacked olives
1/2 tsp garlic, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown meat with garlic, onion, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, and hot pepper sauce. When meat is almost done, add parsley and cook until the parsley wilts. Remove mixture from heat and allow to cool.
3. Roll pizza dough out into a rectangle (about 18″ x 12″), with the long side laid out left-to-right in front of you. Spread out feta cheese, zucchini, and black olives evenly over the dough, leaving 3″ from the edges of the crust uncovered. Spread the cooled meat mixture over the top, still leaving edges of dough uncovered.
4. Starting with the edge closest to you, roll up the whole thing until it is all rolled up. You can do this by using the uncovered edge of dough at the end as a ‘strip’ to stick to the roll and seal it, making sure both ends are pressed down and sealed. Sprinkle with garlic and bake in the preheated oven for 5 minutes. Then, reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
2 (9-oz.) packages cheese tortellini
1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
1/4 c lemon juice
1/4 red wine vinegar
2 TBS chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1 lb baby spinach leaves
1 c crumbled feta cheese
1/2 c slivered red onion
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add tortellini, and cook for 7 minutes or until al dente; drain.
2. In a large bowl, mix the olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, parsley, oregano, and salt. Place the cooked tortellini in the bowl, and toss to coat. Cover, and chill at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.
3. Place eggs in a saucepan with enough water to cover, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and allow eggs to sit in the hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Drain, cool, peel, and quarter.
4. Gently mix the spinach, feta cheese, and onion into the bowl with the pasta. Arrange the quartered eggs around the salad to serve.
6 C chicken broth, divided
3 TBS olive oil, divided
1 lb. portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 shallots, diced
1 1/2 C arborio rice
1/2 dry white wine
sea salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 TBS butter
1/3 C freshly grated parmesan cheese
1. In a saucepan, warm the broth over low heat.
2. Warm 2 TBS olive oil to skillet, and stir in the shallots. Cook 1 minute. Add rice, stirring to coat with oil, about 2 minutes. When the rice has taken on a pale, golden color, pour in wine, stirring constantly until the wine is fully absorbed. Add 1/2 cup broth to the rice, and stir until the broth is absorbed. Continue adding broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring continuously, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is al dente, about 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Remove from heat, and stir in mushrooms with their liquid, butter, chives, and parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Prep: 20 min
Cook: 30 min
1 1/2 C baby spinach leaves
3/4 C fresh basil leaves
1/2 C toasted pine nuts
1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese
4 cloves garlic, peeled and quartered
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 TBS fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1/2 C extra virgin olive oil
Blend the spinach, basil, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice, lemon zest, and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a food processor until nearly smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula as necessary. Drizzle the remaining olive oil into the mixture while processing until smooth.
time: 20 minutes