YIELD 4 servings
TIME 1 hour, plus marinating
- 1 (3 1/2 to 4 pound) chicken, cut into parts (alternatively, 3 to 3 1/2 pounds of bone-in, skin-on chicken parts, such as breasts, thighs and legs)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 ½ cups full-fat Greek yogurt, divided
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric, divided
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup mint or cilantro leaves, torn
- Season chicken parts with salt and pepper.
- Combine 3/4 cup yogurt, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 teaspoon turmeric and 2 tablespoons water in a large bowl. Season well with salt and pepper. (It should be on the salty side, as this is a marinade.) Add chicken and toss to coat evenly. Let sit at least 30 minutes at room temperature, and up to overnight in the refrigerator.
- Place oven rack on the top third of the oven and heat to 425 degrees.
- Combine chickpeas, fennel seed, cumin, remaining teaspoon of turmeric and half the red onion slices on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Move chickpeas to the outer edges of the baking sheet. Scrape any excess marinade off the chicken, and place the chicken parts in the center. Place baking sheet in oven and bake, tossing chickpeas occasionally, until the skin of the chicken is evenly browned and the chickpeas are golden and starting to crisp, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss remaining onion slices with 2 tablespoons lemon juice and season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Combine remaining yogurt with remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice and season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Once chicken is ready, scatter with lemony onions and mint or cilantro. Serve with seasoned yogurt alongside as a sauce.
2 lbs boneless chicken breast
1/4 c yogurt
3 tsp minced ginger
3 tsp crushed garlic
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/4 cumin powder
1/4 tsp mace
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp green cardamom powder
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
3 TBS lemon juice
4 TBS vegetable oil
5 oz. tomato paste
10 oz. tomate puree
2 lbs. tomatoes, chopped
2 tsp ginger paste
2 tsp garlic paste
2 tsp green chilies
1 TBS red chili powder
2 tsp cloves
8 green cardamom pods
3 TBS butter
2/3 c cream
1 tsp fenugreek
2 tsp ginger, julienned
1. Whisk all of the ingredients in Part I together in a large bowl. A breast, cut into 2″ cubes. Marinate overnight in the refrigerator to 350 degrees F. Bake the chicken for 8 minutes, basting with butter and excess marinade and bake for another 2 minutes.
2. While doing this, make the sauce in Part II. Deseed and chop green chilies, tomatoes, tomato paste and tomato puree in a pot and a little water. Add ginger and garlic paste, green chilies, red chili powder, cardamoms, and salt. Cook over low heat until reduced to a thick sauce. Bring to a boil. Add butter and cream. Add honey, fenugreek and ginger juliennes, and finally the chickens.
2 large potatoes, peeled
1 C frozen peas, thawed
2 TBS vegetable oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 bay leaf, crushed
2 large onions, finely chopped
1 lb ground beef
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 TBS minced fresh ginger root
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander seed
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
2 TBS chopped fresh cilantro
2 TBS chopped green chile peppers
1 quart oil for deep frying
1 (16 oz.) package phyllo dough
1. Bring a medium saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Stir in potatoes and peas. Cook until potatoes are tender but still form, about 15 minutes. Drain, mash together and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan over medium high heat, heat the oil. Brown cumin seeds and bay leaf. Mix in onions and ground beef. Cook until beef is evenly brown and onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Mix in garlic, fresh ginger root. Season with black pepper, salt, cumin, coriander, turmeric, chili powder, cinnamon, and cardamom. Stir in the mashed potato mixture. Remove from heat and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour, or until cool.
3. Heat oil in a large, heavy saucepan over high heat.
4. Mix cilantro and green chile peppers into the potato and beef mixture. Place approximately 1 TBS of the mixture onto each phyllo sheet. Fold sheets into triangles, pressing edges together with moistened fingers.
5. In small batches, fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels and serve warm.
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp salt
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
1 c yogurt
2 Tbs vegetable oil
2 medium cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 Tbs fresh grated ginger
3 Tbs vegetable oil
1 medium onion, diced fine
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 Tbs tomato paste
1 Tbs garam masala
28 oz crushed tomatoes
3 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 c heavy cream
1/4 fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tsp turmeric
FOR THE CHICKEN: Combine cumin, coriander, cayenne, and salt in small bowl.Sprinkle both sides of chicken with spice mixture, pressing gently so mixture adheres. Add the crushed garlic and ginger.Rub it on the chicken and drizzle the olive oil. Place chicken in a ziploc bag and refrigerate overnight (or several hours).Take the chicken out from the fridge and add the yoghurt. Make sure it coats the chicken well. Let marinate for another 1-2 hours. In the meantime, get all the ingredients for the masala ready.
FOR THE SAUCE: Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until light golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, chile, tomato paste, and garam masala; cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 3 minutes.Add crushed tomatoes, sugar, turmeric, and salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. It is at this point that you may adjust the seasoning and add more spice if you like it spicier. Stir in cream and return to simmer.Remove pan from heat and cover to keep warm.
While sauce simmers, grill chicken on medium heat. Make sure you coat the chicken well with the yoghurt. Also, make sure you oil the grill …as the chicken can easily stick. You can also do the chicken in the oven using the broiler. Just adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat broiler. Dip chicken into yogurt mixture (chicken should be coated with thick layer of yogurt) and arrange on wire rack set in foil-lined rimmed baking sheet or broiler pan. Discard excess yogurt mixture. Broil chicken until thickest parts register 160 degrees on instant-read thermometer and exterior is lightly charred in spots, 10 to 18 minutes, flipping chicken halfway through cooking. Let chicken rest 5 minutes, then cut into 1-inch chunks and stir into warm sauce (do not simmer chicken in sauce). Stir in cilantro, and serve over rice.
If your sauce is too thick, thin it out with some more cream or milk or chicken stock before serving.
You can also grill the chicken first and keep it warm… then proceed to make the sauce…
INGREDIENTS (Potato patty):
1 large potato, boiled and peeled and mashed completely
1 tsp cumin seed
1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
1 Tbsp corn starch
oil (for frying)
extra corn starch to roll the patty in before frying
1 c cooked chickpeas
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
DIRECTIONS (Potato patty):
1. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and adjust salt. form patties and dust some corn starch on the patties. Set aside.
2. Heat 1/2 c oil in a 9 inch frying pan and heat for about 5 minutes over medium heat. Slide 3 patties at a time and fry on each side for a couple of minutes or until golden brown,
In a saucepan, add 1 c water and all the chickpeas and turmeric. Mash and adjust salt.
On a dessert plate, plate the potato patty. Pour 3 Tbsp chickpeas sauce on it. Add 1 Tbsp of raita, 1 Tsbp of green chutney and 1 Tbsp of tamarind chutney. Garnish with sev.
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 Tbsp garam masala
1/2 c plain yogurt
1. In a mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients and make sure that the rub and the yogurt is applied all over on chicken breasts.
2. Cover and marinade in the refrigerator for 8 hours.