1/4 c brown sugar
2 TBS butter
2 c fresh blackberries
3/4 c white sugar
1 c white sugar
1/2 c butter, softened
1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt brown sugar and 2 tablespoons butter together in a saucepan over medium heat. Add blackberries to brown sugar mixture; cook and stir until mixture bubbles, 1 to 3 minutes. Stir 3/4 cup white sugar into berries, crush berries slightly with a fork, and continue cooking until berries are hot and slightly broken-down, about 5 minutes more; remove from heat and pour into a 9-inch cake pan.
- Beat 1 cup white sugar and 1/2 cup butter together in a bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy; beat in eggs.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl. Alternately stir flour and milk into butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix vanilla into batter.
- Pour batter over blackberry mixture in the 9-inch cake pan.
- Bake cake in the preheated oven until cooked through, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cake cool in the pan until warm, but not completely cooled, about 30 minutes. Run a knife along the inside edge of the pan to separate cake from the sides, place a cake plate over the top of the pan, and flip the pan. Lift the pan slowly to release the cake from the pan.