3/4 C light brown sugar
1/4 C all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
7 medium granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
1 lemon, zested and juiced
3 TBS butter, diced and very cold
1/2 C turbinado sugar for sprinkling
2 large eggs
1 TBS water
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Mix together the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl.
3. In another bowl, sprinkle apples with the juice of 1 lemon and toss.
4. Stir in the sugar mixture to evenly coat the apples and set aside.
5. Roll out chilled dough into 2 circles and use 1 round to line a 9-inch pie pan. Chill the other round.
6. Mound the apple and sugar mixture into the pie pan lined with dough. Dot with the cubed butter.
7. Using a pastry cutter, cut an even number of strips from the remaining rolled out dough.
8. Transfer every other strip to the pie top and weave in the lattice by folding every other strip back onto itself and laying another strip perpendicularly.
9. Fold the strips back across and repeat until completed.
10. Brush the top of the pie with egg wash and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Trim the overhanging dough and crimp edges.
11. Bake pie for 45 minutes or until the lattice is browned and the apples are softened.
12. Let rest 20 minutes before slicing.