This drink is amazing in the summertime.
3 pounds fresh or frozen pitted sour cherries (about 3 cups of sour-cherry juice)
8 cups sugar
4 tablespoons lime juice
5 cups water
1. Squeeze the cherries or process them in a juicer.
2. Bring the sugar, lime juice, and water to a boil in a laminated pan. Add the cherry juice and boil for 10 – 15 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the syrup thickens.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool.
4. Pour syrup into a clean, dry bottle, and cork tightly.
5. In a pitcher, mix 1 part syrup, 3 parts water, and lots of ice cubes. Stir and serve.
Another way to make this syrup is to bring the sugar and water to a boil, tie the sour cherries with the pits in cheesecloth, and add the cloth to the sugar and water. Boil for 25 minutes. Squeeze and remove the cheesecloth and add 1/4 tsp vanilla extract to the syrup. Allow to cool, pour the syrup into a clean, dry bottle, and cork tightly. Server as in Step5 above.