2 whole eggs
1 egg yolk
3/4 cup sugar
6 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, strained
Serving size: Makes about 1 cup.
1. Juice the lemons. Strain out the pulp and discard.
2. Put the eggs, egg yol, and sugar in a medium-sized pot.
3. Add the lemon juice and whisk the whole business up until uniform.
4. Toss in chunks of butter.
5. Set the pot on the stove over medium heat.
6. Cook over medium heat for a few minutes, whisking constantly, unti the butter melts and the sugar dissolves.
7. when the mixture is melted and uniform, clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pot (make sure it’s not touching the bottom).
8. Cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture reaches 175 degrees. Remove from heat instantly.
9. Strain the hot lemon curd into a large bowl. This will catch any stray bits of cooked egg.
10. Push the last bit through the strainer with a spoon.
11. Cool the lemon curd to room temperature.
12. Transfer to a clean jar, bottle, or smaller bowl. Cover and refrigerate.